Tom Brown, head chef at Outlaw’s, shares his Asian inspired chilli squid recipe
You will need
For the squid marinade:
- Red chillies 2, deseeded
- Ginger 50g, peeled
- Garlic cloves 3, peeled
- Fish sauce 3 tbsp
- Light rapeseed oil 40ml
- Fresh squid 500g, cleaned
For the peanut salad:
- Mange tout 100g, finely sliced
- Bean sprouts 100g
- Red onion ½, finely sliced
- Roasted and salted peanuts 50g
- Fresh coriander 5g, chopped
For the coconut yoghurt:
- Greek yoghurt 100g
- Thick coconut milk 50g
- Pinch of salt to taste
- At least an hour before serving, take the squid hood and tentacles and slice finely in lengths of roughly 5cm. Place into a large, lidded container in the fridge.
- Blend the rest of the marinade ingredients on medium speed for 1-2 minutes. Pour the marinade over the squid, cover and leave for return to the fridge for at least ½ hour.
- Prepare the coconut yoghurt by mixing the greek yoghurt, coconut milk and a pinch of salt together in a bowl, then pass through a sieve into a separate bowl.
- Add the salad ingredients to a large bowl and set aside. Take the squid out of the fridge, pour away the marinade and set aside. Heat a frying pan with a drizzle of rapeseed oil until searing hot, cook the squid for 20-30 seconds until opaque.
- Take the frying pan off the heat and add the squid to the bowl of salad, then toss together. Spoon the coconut yoghurt on top and serve immediately.