https://www.reservoirhillsfamilybutchery.co.za/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/CrispyCalamari.jpg 488 650 admin https://www.reservoirhillsfamilybutchery.co.za/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/RFB-Corporate-ID-Web-Header-White-300x129.png admin2015-04-27 12:28:262015-04-27 12:28:26Crispy Calamari with Lemon, Parsley and Chorizo rice
A gorgeous Calamari recipe from Mike Corbin, head chef at The Metropole Hotel…
You will need
- Squid tubes 400g
- Chorizo 100g, finely diced
- Red onion 1, finely diced
- Parsley 3 sprigs, chopped
- Green pepper 1, finely diced
- Long grain rice 250g
- Panko breadcrumbs
- Smoked paprika 1 tsp
- Lemons 2
- Sherry vinegar
- Plain flour 1 cup, seasoned
- Eggs 4
- Olive oil
- Chicken stock for cooking
- Rinse the calamari under cold water and dry with kitchen towel.
- Put the flour into a mixing bowl. Whisk the eggs in a second bowl and put the breadcrumbs into a third bowl. Cut the squid into pieces and lightly flour it, then coat in the egg mixture and coat in the breadcrumbs. Place onto a dry tray.
- Pre-heat the frying oil to 180°c.
- Cook the rice in a little chicken stock, drain and set aside.
- Fry the onion in some olive oil and when it starts to soften add the green pepper, chorizo and paprika. Sweat for 2-3 minutes then add the rice and parsley, a tiny splash of vinegar and a squeeze of lemon juice. Season to taste.
- Fry the calamari for approximately 1 minute until golden. Remove excess oil by placing it on kitchen towel.
- Serve the calamari on a bed of rice with a fresh salad and a lemon wedge.